The Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF), in partnership with African Philanthropy Network (APN) and Global Fund for Community Foundations (GFCF), will be holding a special 20th anniversary conference on the 22 – 23 June, 2017 in Nairobi, Kenya. The conference, themed ‘Durable Development: Shifting the Power, Building Community Resilience’, will be an opportunity for participants to network and meet other like-minded thought leaders, who share similar concerns and are working towards contextualising development from an African perspective, such that it becomes sustainable including building a strong financial base for it. Additionally, on the 21 June, KCDF will hold an official opening of the new KCDF House.
The conference will provide an opportunity to explore the following:
- Bring together a diverse set of development practitioners from Kenya and beyond, to explore effective interventions in implementing sustainable development programmes.
- Work towards shifting the field of development to a new paradigm of people based development that enhances building local assets, capacities, and trust among communities.
- Share case studies and working models on emerging community development practices that are building on local community philanthropy and help communities break away from a dependency mindset.
- Present innovative development practices in areas such as devolved decision making, local asset mobilisation and multi-stakeholder partnerships among others.
- Explore the implications of the above conversations on the state and nature of civil society sector and its ability to deliver on their mandate towards achieving durable development.