The aim of the network is to facilitate more effective philanthropic support to strengthen democratic values in Europe through transnational cooperation and information exchange and to create a sustainable, broad-based platform of independent foundations working towards a stronger European democracy.
- Participatory democracy and active citizenship
- New technologies and the impact on democracy
- Transparency of institutions
In addition to partnership building, convening and knowledge sharing, the network specifically engages in the following activities:
- The network has held two engaging, well attended sessions at the EFC’s Annual General Assembly and Conference.
- The network holds two meetings each year to explore, network and learn from peers on different topics relating to EU Democracy.
- The network has conducted a mapping to analyse the work of EFC members in the area of EU democracy.
- Adessium Foundation
- European Cultural Foundation
- Fondation Charles Léopold Mayer pour le progrès de l'Homme
- King Baudouin Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- Stiftung Mercator GmbH
In 2015, EFC members came together to conduct a mapping on democracy related projects and initiatives to gain a greater understanding of what is being done. On completion of this mapping, a network was established, with the King Baudouin Foundation leading the ways. The urgency to meet increased due to the Brexit referendum in the UK as well as the rise of populism in Europe more broadly. Since June 2016, the network has been meeting twice a year to discuss topics of importance and brainstorm potential solutions.