About the EFC
As a leading platform for philanthropy in Europe, the EFC works to strengthen the sector and make the case for institutional philanthropy* as a formidable means of effecting change.
We believe institutional philanthropy has a unique, crucial and timely role to play in meeting the critical challenges societies face. More people and causes benefit from institutional philanthropy than ever before, from eradicating deadly diseases and making the world’s populations healthier to combating climate change and fighting for global human rights and equality.
Working closely with our members, a dynamic network of strategically-minded philanthropic organisations from more than 30 countries, we:
- Foster peer-learning by surfacing the expertise and experience embedded in the sector
- Enhance collaboration by connecting people for inspiration and joint action
- Represent philanthropy for favourable policy and regulatory environments
- Build a solid evidence base through knowledge and intelligence
- Raise the visibility of philanthropy’s value and impact
Read more about the EFC Strategic Framework 2016-2022, developed by the EFC membership.
*What is institutional philanthropy?
Institutional philanthropy refers to foundations, corporate funders and other players that:
1) Have their own financial resources which they deploy strategically
2) Are independently governed
3) Use private resources for public good