Ariadne and the Diversity Migration Integration (DMI) thematic network of the European Foundation Centre (EFC) are organising the meeting: For an inclusive Europe: European funders countering hatred and discrimination based on racial and religious bias.
This meeting will take place in Brussels from the afternoon of Monday, June 25th to Tuesday, June 26th at Philanthropy House (rue Royale 94, Brussels).
In 2017, Ariadne released its ” Seeking an Inclusive Europe: Foundation Grantmaking for Countering Ethnic and Religious Bias and Xenophobia” report, which revealed a lack of coordination among private donors and a shortage of funding going into addressing xenophobia and ethnic and religious bias affecting not only third country nationals, but also European citizens from ethnic or religious minorities, whether they have a migrant background or not.
From the spike in hate crimes following Brexit to advantageous electoral results for openly xenophobic parties, recent events only confirm the urgency to tackle these issues also in Europe. But how can funders address these issues more effectively? Through a series of national roundtables in The Netherlands, Italy, France and Germany, Ariadne has been exploring with donors the needs in this sector and the challenges facing donors trying to address racism and intolerance. Through this regional event, Ariadne hopes to sustain European donors’ strategic thinking in this area, respond to appetite for greater collaboration, and ultimately generate more support for the field.
This meeting will be held in English. It is open to representatives of grant-making foundations who support projects for social change and human rights both in national contexts and internationally.
Confirmed speakers and facilitators for the event include:
- Sara Llewellin, Chief Executive of the Barrow Cadbury Trust and Chair of the DMI;
- Christal Morehouse, Senior Programme Officer, Open Society Initiative For Europe (OSIFE);
- Ioannis Dimitrakopoulos, Head of Department Equality and Citizens Rights at the Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA);
- Liz Fekete, Director of the Institute for Race Relations (IRR);
- Nick Lowles, Chief Executive of Hope not hate;
- Alina Bricman, President of the European Union of Jewish Students (EUJS);
- Jessica de Abreu, board member of the New Urban Collective (NUC) and member of the European Network of People of African Descent (ENPAD);
- Hajib El Hajjaji, Collective against Islamophobia in Belgium (CCIB);
- Jamen Gabriela Hrabanova, Executive Director of the European Roma Grassroots Organisations (ERGO) network;
- Carola Carazzone, Assifero Secretary General;
- Avila Kilmurray, The Social Change Initiative (SCI);
- Shenaz Bunglawala, Assistant Director of the Aziz Foundation;
- Ayesha Saran, Migration Programme Manager, Barrow Cadbury Trust;
- Sarah Sommer, Senior Programme Manager, European Programme for Integration and Migration (EPIM)
- Sally Smith, Executive Director of The Nexus Fund.
Please contact Silvia Balmas email@example.com for more information about the event.