Bertelsmann Stiftung was established by Reinhard Mohn in 1977, who in 1993 transferred 68.8% of the capital shares in the Bertelsmann Corporation as non-voting shares to the foundation. Currently, the foundation’s share in Bertelsmann AG is 76.9%. The remaining 23.1% belong to the Mohn family. The foundation conducts its nonprofit-making activities in the philanthropic traditions of the founder families, Bertelsmann and Mohn.
"Inspiring people. Shaping the future. Participating in a globalised world."
The foundation aims to perceive problems within society, to help solve them by developing exemplary models with experts from practical and theoretical fields, and to put these models into effect in society.
Germany and International
The foundation initiates and carries out projects itself, working with partners in business, government and private institutions, in the following areas:
- Discovering Music
- Living Values
- Business in Society
- Leadership and Corporate Culture
- Germany and Asia
- Integration and Education
- Learning for Life
- Effective Investments in Education
- Future of Democracy
- CHE Centre for Higher Education
- Communities for Better Living
- Improving Health Care – Informing Patients
- Civil Society
- Shaping Sustainable Economies
- Europe’s Future
- International Fora and Trends