Open Estonia Foundation
Open Estonia Foundation was set up in 1990 with the support of George Soros, who has closely followed the reforms in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) and now has a network of Open Society foundations operating in CEE countries. The foundation is an operating and grantgiving organisation.
The mission of the foundation is the development of an open society in Estonia and in other countries. The foundation’s programs are driven by a vision of democracy, civil society, social responsibility, and equal opportunities in the democratic decision making process.
Estonia, also Russia.
For the period 2018-2020 OEF focuses on two priority areas:
1. vibrant and sustainable civil society;
2. social cohesion.
In the Vibrant and sustainable civil society priority area, OEF aims at:
• strengthening civic space and capacity building for CSOs;
• improving and developing capacity, advocacy skills and greater sustainability of civil society actors; aiming for a more active citizenship;
• promoting the adoption of new, more participatory, transparent and accountable models of democracy;
• open, transparent and accountable governance
OEF’s strategic goals in the Fundamental Rights and Social Cohesion area include:
• building a better understanding of democratic values among the public, particularly youth, and increasing their dedication to democratic practices as a key to social cohesion.
• striving towards more open, tolerant and diverse society;
• combating discrimination and prejudice, intolerance and xenophobia, especially against vulnerable and minority groups;
• creating a better awareness of and compliance with fundamental rights and freedoms;
The Foundation runs and supports initiatives in line with its strategic priorities, i.e achieving a greater engagement of civil society in policy processes and improving the capacity of citizens, civil society actors and the government to interact in creating policy solutions that uphold the values of open an society and best serve the public interest and generate a positive social change.
Open Estonia Foundation is the lead partner of Active Citizens Fund in Estonia, in cooperation with Network of Estonian Nonprofit organizations. Support to civil society is a key priority for the EEA and Norway Grants 2014-2021, funded by Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway in 15 EU Member States in Central and Southern Europe and the Baltics. Full info on the program https://acf.ee/en/