Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft
Stifterverband der Notgemeinschaft der Deutschen Wissenschaft was founded in 1920 by the German business community, and existed until 1945. It was re-established in 1949 after World War II as Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft. Its funding programme is supported by annual donations and contributions from its 4,000 members. Membership is composed of companies, associations and individuals, with about 3,000 members being private companies. The association operates mainly on a national level, but also supports activities in the field of international scientific cooperation.
To promote science and technology in research and education, stimulate public interest in science and technology and strengthen the non-profit foundation world.
Germany and international
The organisation focuses on the sciences and humanities in the interests of industry, supporting Germany's major scientific organisations and assisting higher education institutions that are willing to introduce reforms and implement new concepts. Emphasis is on research and education of new highly trained personnel for the labour market in order to maintain and enhance national innovative potential and international competitiveness.
The following areas are supported:
• Improving the structures and efficiency of higher education and research systems
• Competition and performance; higher education reform initiatives
• Promoting international academic relations
• Promoting young academics for science, the humanities and industry
• Promoting academic activities at the level of individual subjects and at the interdisciplinary level
• Promoting dialogue among science and the humanities, industry, politics and society
In addition to its funding programme, the Stifterverband offers trust management services, and it currently administers approximately 250 individual trusts and foundations. It also operates a 'Wissenschaftszentrum' in Bonn, manages a centre of foundations, and promotes science through research and development statistics. Alongside these activities, there is a comprehensive publications and conference programme.