The Wellcome Trust was established in 1936 upon the death of Sir Henry Wellcome. In his will, Wellcome vested the entire share capital of the drug company, The Wellcome Foundation Limited, in individual trustees. The trustees were charged with spending the income according to Sir Henry Wellcome’s wishes.
To achieve extraordinary improvements in human and animal health.
UK, but also worldwide including major initiatives in Africa, India and South-east Asia.
The Trust supports the brightest minds in biomedical research and the medical humanities, with the aim of improving human and animal health. It offers a wide variety of funding schemes, including Investigator Awards, fellowships and Strategic Awards, and also supports several major initiatives.
There are six funding areas:
• Biomedical science – Investigating health and disease in humans and animals
• Technology transfer – Helping the development of innovative, early-stage projects with potential medical applications
• International – Supporting research, capacity building and engagement activities in low- and middle-income countries.
• Public engagement – Imaginative and experimental projects that bring biology and medicine to new audiences
• Medical history and humanities – Research at the interface of medical science, history and the wider humanities
• Biomedical ethics – Supporting research into ethical dilemmas in the development and delivery of healthcare
Wellcome Trust 215 Euston Road NW1 2BE London United Kingdom
Wellcome Trust Social Media
news Related to the Wellcome Trust
23 July 2020
How are EFC members mitigating the impact of COVID-19?
22 July 2020
UK and EU research leaders urge Brexit negotiators to compromise on Horizon Europe agreement
15 May 2020
Julia Gillard announced as next Chair of Wellcome Trust
07 May 2020
Coronavirus Global Response event raises €7.4 billion for universal access to vaccines
27 April 2020
Ursula von der Leyen announces the Coronavirus Global Response conference on 4 May
10 February 2020
Act now to ensure science is on the agenda for Brexit talks - #DealForScience
04 February 2020
Wellcome Trust release statement urging for increased sharing of research data and findings related the novel coronavirus outbreak
27 January 2020
New call for research proposals that investigate the links between global mobility and health
09 October 2019
EFC mourns the passing of Wellcome Trusts's former Chief Investment Officer Danny Truell
23 September 2019
Wellcome Trust launch new programme on research culture #ReimagineResearch
01 July 2019
Wellcome Trust launches new £75 million five-year programme on data for science and health
14 December 2018
“Developing Foundation Thinking for Future Data Policy” the latest workshop from the EFC Research Forum
01 December 2018
EFC Members prominent in world and European top private donors list 2018
events Related to the Wellcome Trust
good-practices Related to the Wellcome Trust
blogs Related to the Wellcome Trust
01 October 2019
Why we need to reimagine how we do research
11 June 2018
Building a strong future for European science: Brexit and beyond
View All Less