The foundation sector in Europe encompasses a wide variety of organisational forms, sizes and purposes.
- Foundations operate in every sphere of life – health, education, employment, environment, the arts, culture and human rights, to name a few
- There are more than 114,000 “public-benefit foundations” in Europe making an impact at community, city, regional, national and international level
- These organisations have a combined annual giving of more than 53 billion euros*
*Based on data compiled in 2014 by the Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe (DAFNE) and the EFC.
- Access detailed country profiles in the Data on foundations section to learn more about the sector in some 40 countries, including facts & figures and in-depth legal and fiscal country profiles.
- Discover the EFC Virtual Library, powered by IssueLab and containing over 600 free to download publications – including those published by the EFC – on philanthropy, the management of foundations and the areas they are involved in and support
- Explore the FAQ on the sector below to learn more about foundations in Europe
- Discover examples of the good work foundations are doing by visiting the Philanthropy House website