European Democracy Network
This network aims to facilitate more effective philanthropic support to strengthen democratic values and participation in Europe through cooperation and information exchange and to create a sustainable, broad-based platform for independent foundations working towards a stronger European democracy.
- Participatory democracy and active citizenship
- New technologies and the impact on democracy
- Transparency of institutions
- Organising sessions at the EFC’s Annual General Assembly and Conference
- Holding two meetings each year to explore, network and learn from peers on different topics relating to European Democracy
- Analysing the work of EFC members in the area of European democracy
In 2015, EFC members came together to conduct a mapping on democracy-related projects and initiatives to gain a greater understanding of what is being done in this area. On completion of this mapping, a network was established, with the King Baudouin Foundation leading the way. The urgency to meet increased due to the Brexit referendum in the UK as well as the rise of populism in Europe more broadly. Since June 2016, the network has been meeting twice a year to discuss topics of importance and brainstorm potential solutions.
The European Democracy Network is part of the EFC’s ongoing commitment to collaboration and peer-learning, as outlined in the EFC Strategic Framework 2016-2022.